Broccoli rabe and Italian sausage
7/10/2012 8:46 AM
1-2 lbs of Italian sausage
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 onion or 3 shallots thinly sliced
2 Tbs Coconut oil
1 bag of frozen broccoli rabe or 2C fresh, blanched and chopped
1/4 C broth
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper
- Heat a 12" frying pan (preferable stainless) you can use a 10" or 11" if you have to
- Add the coconut oil and heat it on medium heat
- Brown the sausage about 2 minutes on each side
- Add the sliced onion and garlic to the pan stir around to get them coated in the oils but don't break the sausage (too much)
- Cover the pan with a large lid or some tin foil and let the sausage and onions cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze all the water out of the broccoli rabe. I microwave mine because I use the frozen bag (from Whole Foods) but if you blanch the fresh you have to still squeeze the water out.
- Take the sausage out of the pan and set it aside
- Add the broccoli rabe to the pan and stir
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and stir
- Get the ingredients well combined
- Add the sausage back in the pan
- Squeeze a little bit of fresh lemon juice over the pan. From up high.